Smith Memorial Playground & Playhouse – An Answer
For over a century Smith has provided generations of Philadelphia children ages 10 and younger and their families with opportunities for safe, unstructured physical, creative, and imaginative play. Located in East Fairmount Park and easily accessible by public transportation, Smith’s beautiful recreational facilities include a 16,000 square foot Playhouse with three floors of activities on a bluff overlooking the Schuylkill River; and a 6 1/2 acre grassy tree-shaded Playground, home to the Ann Newman Giant Wooden Slide.
A playground that serves more than 184,000 visitors annually, Smith is uniquely designed to help children be happy and healthy by providing:
- Designated age specific play areas in which to interact safely with children from a wide range of backgrounds and income levels;
- State-of-the-art, colorful, safe, accessible play equipment and safety surface designed for children of all abilities;
- A variety of equipment and toys created to challenge minds and encourage risk taking as children move from one area to another and in the process develop muscle groups and improve coordination, balance and self–confidence;
- Natural park setting where children can play and connect with nature; and
- Unlimited opportunities for children and adults to play together.
Admission to Smith is free for families, and all children are invited to enjoy a unique setting for play, while getting physical exercise, engaging with their peers, and building strong family bonds.